Sunday, November 1, 2015

Dear Bubby, z"l

Dear Bubby,
I really miss you.  A little more today than other days.  I miss running to the car all excited when Daddy brought you and Zaida to our house.  I miss making "lakalach" with you.  I miss cleaning your kitchen (and making a mess in the process).  I miss playing dress up in your apt with my special red box of jewelry and the giant skirts that you saved for me.  I'm wearing a giant skirt and big earrings today just for you.  (The heavy earrings might not make it all day...sorry.)  I miss cheating at rummy with you.  Don't worry.  Your great-granddaughter, who is named after you, cheats when she plays with me just like I did when I played with you.  So cheating is still in our family.  Isn't that nice.  I remember watching the "Crosby" show for the first time in your apt.  (Nobody likes him anymore, just so you know).  I remember when Meira and I were (not) sleeping over and you would tell us to sleep "tushy to tushy".  I do not miss that part, but I do miss sleeping over.  I remember one time, I was sick and I had to stay home from school, so Daddy brought me to your apt for the day.  Then I got homesick and cried and you made me spaghetti until Daddy came and took me home.  Then I felt bad that I hurt your feelings by leaving you so Daddy helped me call you.  That was a weird day.  I remember when Mommy or Daddy would potch me in the tush b/c of course I did something I shouldn't have, b/c I was no angel, and you used to tell me to make me feel better that they were just swatting the flies away, b/c you thought I was a perfect angel.  (I was not.  But don't tell anyone.)  I miss you coming to our house for Pesach.  That was my favorite.  Giving out parts for Echad Mi Yodaya.  I always gave you the hardest part.  And you just took it, and laughed - maybe more than I did.  I'm not sure why that was ok, but Mommy and Daddy were laughing also.  I wish you could come to my home now for Pesach.  You would love it.  I wish you could've been at my wedding - in your light pink dress with the empire waist.  I wish you could've met Moshe.  You would love him too.  I wish you could've watched me speak at my graduation.  You'd be so proud of me.  I miss helping you set up the kiddush in your shul.  I remember learning how to put together those plastic wine cups.  I thought it was so cool.  So for about 8 years, I helped and then became in charge of setting up kiddush in my shul.  We didn't have those fancy cups like you had...b/c I didn't have a little helper like you had.  You should've been at the shul dinner where they honored me for a lot of things, but mostly for kiddush.  That was all you.  I think I actually mentioned you in my speech.  You would've been so proud.  I remember when it struck me that I ran kiddush and so did my bubby.  That was a mind-blowing moment.  Thank you for passing that torch on to me.  I'd be a very different person without it.
I just really miss you.  I don't know what else to say.  I just really miss you.

Love,
your Special :)

No comments:

Post a Comment