Monday, August 8, 2016

#HashtagsAreTheStupidestThingToHappenToHumanity #WhenWillTheyGoAwayAlready?!

I remember when this symbol - # - was called the pound sign and no one knew what it was for.   I actually called it the tic tac toe button, but I may have been the only one.  Simpler times.  Now it's called a hashtag (whatever that means) and it's used to string words together that are impossible to read (like my title for this post...yes, I see the irony) and I don't understand it at all.  I understand creating a hashtag as an actual tag for a wedding or other event, or something else so that all posts about the event or thing can be accessed by just looking up or clicking on that hashtag.  I get that.  That makes a lot of sense.  And I've done that before.
What I don't get is why people write something, and then follow it up with a hashtag and some words all strung together that no one can read.  I also don't understand why you can't just umm...maybe...write that as a regular sentence.  For example, someone might write "Went to the store today.  #freesamples  #neededmilk  #chickenwasonsale  #score".  What is all that gibberish?!  Why can't you just write "I went to the store today b/c I needed milk.  They had free samples.  And chicken was on sale.  Score!"  I once actually saw someone write "#awesomejob"  Really?  You needed a # for that?!  You couldn't just write "Awesome job!"???
Can you imagine if we started actually speaking that way?
person 1: Hey!  Hashtag how are you?
person 2: Hashtag I'm fine.  Hashtag How are you?
person 1: Hashtag good.  Hashtag how was your weekend?
person 2: Hashtag it was nice.  Hashtag we took the kids to the zoo.  Hashtag my little one was scared of the lion, but hashtag my big one played like a hashtag monkey all day.  Hashtag kids!

Hashtag Oy!

No comments:

Post a Comment